Wrong Side of the Tracks
The mission 'Wrong Side of the Tracks is the second mission given by Big Smoke.
Frank Tenpenny and Eddie Pulaski are seen leaving Big Smoke's house from the garage. Carl Johnson arrives and Smoke tells him that they have to go to the train at Unity Station. When the two arrive, Big Smoke explains that the Vagos and San Fierro Rifa are "cutting some kind of deal", and intends to crash the meeting. However, it is an ambush and the Vagos try to escape via train. CJ and Smoke use a Sanchez to chase down the head of the train to kill all four Vagos, all the while avoiding obstacles such as oncoming car blocks and incoming trains. If successful, CJ and Smoke will have eliminated all Vagos before the train reaches the bridge connecting Los Santos and Las Venturas. The two then clear the scene and CJ takes Big Smoke back to his house.
- Jump on the Sanchez provided for you by pressing the "enter vehicle" button immediately after the cutscene ends.
- Do not waste bullets trying to shoot the gang members as the train is too high.
- Stay on the far right side. Staying too close to the train will give Smoke a bad angle and he will shoot the train instead.
- While still near Unity Station and before the train makes a curved left turn, one Vago (the one who is behind the rest) will be killed when he fails to duck under a metal bar. Since it is pointless to aim for him, Carl can drive faster to focus on other gang members.
- Just above the storm drain that the train passes, there is a ramp that is level with the train, and can be used to drive the bike on top of it. Not only does this give Smoke an easy shot at the Vagos, the player can also shoot at the gang members, assuming that they have a drive-by weapon.
- According to speculation, this mission is noted as one of the hardest in Grand Theft Auto.
- If the player fails the mission, Big Smoke will say "All we had to do was follow the damn train, CJ!". The line has become quite famous among fans of Grand Theft Auto.
- In the beta version, another objective would have been to retrieve a package from the dead Vagos, making CJ suspect something. This was cut before release, possibly because Rockstar Games didn't wanted to make it too obvious that Smoke is going to betray the Grove Street Families.
- This is one of the first missions to take Carl out of Los Santos and into Red County; for players playing strictly mission to mission this will be their first exposure to the rural area, too.
- Oddly, in the mission Local Liquor Store Carl complains about Catalina shooting so close to his ear, but he doesn't do it with Big Smoke, presumably as he is closer to Big Smoke and the fact that Smoke generally aims the gun higher and to the side, limiting the noise, wheras Catalina is shooting directly forward.
- There is a Minecraft splash screen writing "Follow the train, CJ!" which is a reference to this mission.
- If the player takes Big Smoke back to his house in a different vehicle, it will be replaced with the Sanchez in the cutscene.
- If the player fails the mission just as the Vagos crosses the bridge and looks closely, the player will see that the train will pass through a barrier.
Related ThreadsWrong side of the tracks mission - last post by @ Sep 25, 2006
Wrong side of the tracks - last post by @ Feb 20, 2006
wrong side of the track's - last post by @ Dec 5, 2005
Wrong Side of The Tracks Mission! (Help!) - last post by @ Jun 13, 2005
"Wrong Side of the Tracks" - last post by @ Feb 11, 2005